Omar, who worked for the City of Houston’s Legal Department for nearly a decade before joining the firm in 2016, assists clients with complex land use and zoning issues in connection with commercial, industrial, and large-scale residential development projects. Numerous cities in the metro-Houston area and along the Texas Gulf Coast have zoning laws. Although Houston lacks formal zoning laws, it has a sophisticated set of land use controls that affect subdivision platting, permitting, and other regulation of real estate development. In addition to assistance with navigation of complex governmental limitations on land use and development, Omar assists clients with collaboration with governmental entities in the formation of public private partnerships and other governmental incentives in development projects.
Omar’s extensive experience in land use and zoning sets him apart from his peers and gives him a perspective that adds value to complex development projects. As evidence of his knowledge, he has published articles about Houston land use approvals, building permits and deed restrictions.
Some of the ways Omar has assisted his land use clients include:
- Working as land use counsel for a major Fortune 500 retailer developing a 1 million+ square foot regional distribution hub.
- Representing multiple commercial property owners in litigation over the annexation of private land into the corporate limits of municipality.
- Representing numerous owners and developers of multi-family, commercial and industrial properties against governmental agencies in disputes over regulatory takings claims resulting from the application of land use and zoning regulations.
Omar obtained his B.A. from Emory University in 2000 and his J.D. from the Rutgers-Camden School of Law in 2003.
- Real Estate Transactions
- Land Use
- B.A. 2000, Emory University
- J.D. 2003, Rutgers-Camden School of Law
+Certifications and Licenses
- State Bar of Texas
- Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section
- Houston Bar Association
- Real Estate Section
- Board Certified: Commercial Real Estate Law - Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Cell Tower Siting Update, Texas City Attorney’s Association Conference, 2010
- Regulation of Land Development without Zoning – Municipal Law 101 City of Houston Legal Department, 2011
- Regulation of Historic Preservation – University of Texas Continuing Legal Education Land Use Conference, 2016
- Recognized in Land Use & Zoning, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2021-2024